yq: Command-line YAML/XML processor - jq wrapper for YAML and XML documents¶
pip install yq
yq, you also have to install its dependency,
jq. See the jq installation instructions for details and directions specific to your platform.
yq is also available on Homebrew: use
brew install python-yq.
yq takes YAML input, converts it to JSON, and pipes it to jq:
cat input.yml | yq .foo.bar
jq, you can also specify input filename(s) as arguments:
yq .foo.bar input.yml
By default, no conversion of
jq output is done. Use the
-y argument to convert it back into YAML:
cat input.yml | yq -y .foo.bar
-w argument to pass the line wrap width for string literals. All other command line arguments are
yq forwards the exit code
jq produced, unless there was an error in YAML parsing, in which case
the exit code is 1. See the jq manual for more details on
jq features and
YAML tags in the input are ignored (any nested data is treated as untagged). Key order is preserved.
yq also supports XML. The
yq package installs an executable,
transcodes XML to JSON using
xmltodict and pipes it to
jq. Roundtrip transcoding is available with
xq -x option. Multiple XML documents can be passed in separate files/streams as
xq a.xml b.xml. Entity expansion and DTD resolution is disabled to avoid XML parsing vulnerabilities.
This package’s release series available on PyPI begins with version 2.0.0. Versions of
yq prior to 2.0.0 are
distributed by https://github.com/abesto/yq and are not related to this package. No guarantees of compatibility are
made between abesto/yq and kislyuk/yq. This package follows the Semantic Versioning 2.0.0
standard. To ensure proper operation, declare dependency version ranges according to SemVer.
Changes for v2.7.1 (2018-11-05)¶
- xq: Introduce –xml-dtd and –xml-root. Fixes #37.
- TOML support is optional and experimental
Changes for v2.7.0 (2018-08-04)¶
- TOML support with the tq executable entry point.
- Disallow argparse abbreviated options. Fixes #38 on Python 3.5+.
- Now available in Homebrew as python-yq.
Changes for v2.6.0 (2018-04-28)¶
- Packaging: Replace scripts with entry-points
- Packaging: Package the license file
Changes for v2.5.0 (2018-04-02)¶
- Parse unrecognized tags instead of dropping them. Fixes #23
Changes for v2.4.1 (2018-02-13)¶
- Ignore unrecognized YAML tags instead of crashing
- Explicitly disable XML entity expansion and mention in docs
- xq -x: Raise understandable error on non-dict conversion failure
Changes for v2.4.0 (2018-02-08)¶
- Support XML parsing with xmltodict
Changes for v2.3.7 (2018-02-07)¶
- Fix for the –from-file/-f argument: Re-route jq_filter to files when using –from-file. Fixes #19.
Changes for v2.3.6 (2018-01-29)¶
- Parse and pass multiple positional-consuming jq args
Changes for v2.3.5 (2018-01-29)¶
- Support jq arguments that consume subsequent positionals (such as –arg k v) (#16).
Changes for v2.3.4 (2017-12-26)¶
- Support bare YAML dates and times. Fixes #10
Changes for v2.3.3 (2017-09-30)¶
- Avoid buffering all input docs in memory with no -y
- End all json.dump output with newlines. Close all input streams. Fixes #8. Thanks to @bubbleattic for reporting.
Changes for v2.3.2 (2017-09-25)¶
- Fix test suite on Python 3
Changes for v2.3.1 (2017-09-25)¶
- Add support for multiple yaml files in arguments. Thanks to @bubbleattic (PR #7)
Changes for v2.3.0 (2017-08-27)¶
- Handle multi-document streams. Fixes #6
- Report version via yq –version
Changes for v2.2.0 (2017-07-07)¶
- Stringify datetimes loaded from YAML. Fixes #5
Changes for v2.1.2 (2017-06-27)¶
- Fix ResourceWarning: unclosed file
- Internal: Make usage of loader argument consistent
- Documentation improvements
Changes for v2.1.1 (2017-05-02)¶
- Fix release script. Release is identical to v2.1.0.
Changes for v2.1.0 (2017-05-02)¶
- yq now supports emitting YAML (round-trip YAML support) using “yq -y”. Fixes #2.
- Key order is now preserved in mappings/objects/dictionaries.
- Passing input files by filename as an argument is now supported (in addition to providing data on standard input).
Changes for v2.0.2 (2017-01-16)¶
- Test and documentation improvements
Changes for v2.0.1 (2017-01-14)¶
- Fix description in setup.py
Changes for v2.0.0 (2017-01-14)¶
- Begin 2.0.0 release series. This package’s release series available
on PyPI begins with version 2.0.0. Versions of
yqprior to 2.0.0 are distributed by https://github.com/abesto/yq and are not related to this package. No guarantees of compatibility are made between abesto/yq and kislyuk/yq. This package follows the
Semantic Versioning 2.0.0 <http://semver.org/>_ standard. To ensure proper operation, declare dependency version ranges according to SemVer. See the Readme for more information.